The upgrade process is similar for both TFS 2010 & 2012 if you want to upgrade to TFS 2013. As upgrade process has not changed significantly since TFS 2012.
TFS 2010 Software Requirement,
TFS 2013 now requires Windows Server 2008 R2 and higher as well as SQL 2012 SP1 (CU2 recommended) and higher. Microsoft no longer support Windows Server 2008, SQL Server 2008 R2, or SQL Server 2012 RTM. If you use SharePoint, we now require SharePoint 2010 and higher.
For more Hardware & Software requirement Please check MSDN page.
So lets get started,
- I have prepared two Windows Server 2010 x64 bit Virtual machines for my TFS 2010 & for SQL 2012 Enterprise Server.
- Installed TFS 2013 & SQL Server 2012 on Virtual machine. Please make sure version of old SQL Server & use the same version while upgrading TFS server to 2013. e.g. If you are using enterprise edition then use SQl 2012 enterprsie else you will face lots of issue while restoring TFS backup.
- Backup TFS 2010/2012 server SQL backup. Use SQL Management server to take backup of SQL TFS server.
- Restore backup of TFS 2010/2012 server on new SQl server 2010 using SQL management studio. Restore all TFS backup & do not miss anything.
- Now you are all set to upgrade to TFS 2013. Lets start the upgrade process.