(Guide) How to migrate tfs project collection to new server along with Sharepoint & Report Server
I have faced issues while migrating TFS Server project collection from one server to another, as process is complicated & no easy documentation available for the same. Follow below steps to migrate TFS source Control, Work Items, Reports & SharePoint sites.
So let get started,
1. Open “Team Foundation Server Administration Console” & Stop the TFS project collection which you want to migrate to new server.
2. Now Detach the project Collection as shown below,
3. Now open SQL Management Studio on TFS SQL Server & backup the TFS project collection which you want to migrate,
4. Now open SQL Management Studio on Target SQL Server & restore the backup of TFS Collection DB,
5. Now Open Team Foundation Server Administration Console go to Application Tier, Team Project Collections, click to Attach Collection. Now your restored database will appear here. Sometime you might will face issues with Team Foundation server version so you might need to install TFS 2010 Service Pack 1.
6. Assign Name to project collection & click next
7. Click on Verify.
8. Click on Attach to attach new collection.
9. Click on close to complete the process.
10. Now your TFS project collection DB has been restored & attached to the new TFS server. Now we need to modify our Sharepoint to the new URL. SO open Visual Studio & connect to the restored TFS project & change the SharePoint URL from old to new URL.
11. Now we need to back & restore SharePoint & Report Server backup
First of all we will backup SharePoint & Report server
stsadm -o restore -url http://mytricks-tfs-02/sites/TestCollection -filename c:\new folder\sps.bak Go to the new SQL server & download PushReportsToServer.rss fromDownload PushReportsToServer.rss Now Open Command prompt & RUN rs -i PushReportsToServer.rss -s http://mytricks-db-02/reportserver
After restoration don’t forget to process Data Warehouse and Analysis Services Cube on new TFS server..
Subscribe to our newsletter to get the latest updates to your inbox. ;-)